5/12/2010

Say What?

It's been a long time since I've posted, and there's nothing earth-shattering going on at the moment, so I thought I'd post something I've been meaning to post for quite some time. From the moment I arrived in Korea, one thing has been quite obvious: Koreans don't have English-speaking foreigners proofread their signs before they translate them into English! I laugh myself silly nearly every day when I see something so absurdly written that it surely couldn't have been the original intent. Or Korean words that are translated into English letters and take on a brand new meaning. Here's just a few that I've found. Enjoy! (I'll explain a little when necessary.)


In case you can't see it, it says. "The Bird. If I am cautious like the flap of the small bird which sat down on the branch of the tree..." And...? Can't really picture a tough guy in chaps and tattoos on this thing!



Probably not the message they were trying to send. Humanitarianism, maybe?



First of all, "information" is both singular and plural, but it gets better. Apparently, there are many different types of heritages here on the grounds of the royal palace! And the list of what you can't bring in just cracks me up!



This is actually the cover of a blank notebook I bought at the stationary store. Maybe it was to encourage all those kids that are forced into academies by their parents.



This is written on the outside of my stationary. Not printed anywhere inside, just the wrapper. Could be a suggestion for what they should write inside! "Please always know that I love you more than anything else in the world. Ever since I met you, things are looking 'preety' good. Being with you makes me feel so happy."



Can we say "knock-off?" (This one's for you, Tamla!)



At Kraze Burger (pronounced krah-shey by Koreans). "Please, Remove the color fork before taste the menu. It might cause the safe problem." Get's me every time!



At a ritzy hotel's ritzy buffet. I can't tell you how excited I was when I saw the sign...and how disappointed I was when I opened the lid. Obviously, I didn't read the explanation.



The teacher in me is twitching.


That's all for now, folks, but there's plenty more where those come from! Stay tuned for part two!

2 comments:

  1. great captures Amanda!!! they never get old!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Koreans don't have English-speaking foreigners proofread their signs.
    Thailand

    ReplyDelete